UCPLL Seeks to Fill COO Position
The UCPLL Board of Directors is offering this Request for Applications for a Chief Operating Officer (COO) to: coordinate, oversee and maintain the operation of all UCP Programs and services including regulatory compliance, strategic planning and human resources. This position reports to the President/CEO.
UCPLL has been serving Springfield and Central Illinois for 48 years and is committed to helping children and adults with disabilities live “Life Without Limits.” UCP works with individuals with disabilities and their families to live in their homes, have access to a quality education and health care, acquire employment skills and work in the community. UCPLL believes every individual has the right to live life to their fullest potential.
UCPLL is a nonprofit organization with a track record of providing quality services, programs and advocacy to individuals with all types of disabilities. UCPLL is an affiliate of United Cerebral Palsy Associations, a member of the United Way, and has been accredited by the Commission of Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).
UCPLL provides comprehensive services to over 600 children and adults with disabilities in throughout Central Illinois. Services include job training and placement, assistive technology, summer camps, residential support, day services, respite, case management, and advocacy.
- Advanced degree (preferred) with a minimum of 5 years of increasingly responsible management experience.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff; manage and develop high-performance teams; set and achieve strategic objectives; and develop and manage a budget.
- A range of experience in human resources, finance, program operations, and the regulatory requirements associated with these functions, is preferred.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders is preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptive, and innovative approach to business planning.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven and self-directed.
Scope of Work
A successful candidate will:
- Perform any and all assigned functions for the President/CEO during their absence.
- Responsible for the overall operations of UCP programs, business services and human resources.
- Responsible for hiring, termination, evaluation and remediation issues relating to directors and managers.
- Assures compliance with grant and contract obligations including meeting goals and service hours.
- Responsible for the development of new services including needs assessment, planning, grant writing, funding, and implementation.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of the corporate compliance protocol to ensure regulatory requirements for program and business operations, human resources, finance, and marketing are met.
- Analyze trends and develop action plans with compliance team to address identified trends or opportunities for improvement.
- Act as the liaison between UCP and government agencies during on-site licensure or monitoring surveys.
- Responsible for leading CARF accreditation and performance improvement programs (Lean/Kaizen) throughout the agency and act as liaison for site visits.
- Direct the annual and strategic planning process with the Board of Directors and President/CEO.
- Sets long and short-term objectives evaluation of program and organizational effectiveness.
- Responsible for implementation of the strategic plan through action plan development and monitoring of spreadsheets to track performance. Assists the management team with analysis of results and actions to address underperforming measures.
- Assist the Chief Financial Officer with the development of the annual budget for program services. Monitor monthly financial reports to identify budget variances.
- Attends meetings of the Board of Directors. Serves as the senior leader point of contact for the Administration Committee.
Code of Conduct
- Presents a positive image of United Cerebral Palsy Land of Lincoln at all times.
- Demonstrates teamwork philosophy by working cooperatively with others.
- Communicates in a clear and concise manner, while also demonstrating receptivity through active listening.
- Continuously seeks opportunities for improvement and suggests ways in which procedures/systems may be modified to accomplish tasks/goals efficiently and
- Adheres to the highest level of ethical conduct.
Application Packet & Timelines
The UCPLL Board of Directors requests that interested applicants submit the following items by Tuesday, August 15, 2017 to Ms. Kara Hood, Manager, Human Resources, UCPLL, 101 N. 16th Street, Springfield, Illinois 62703. Questions can be directed to Kara Hood at 217-525-6522 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cover Letter (please limit to 2 pages) – please explain the applicant’s interest in the position, UCPLL, and the specific skills/talents that qualify him/her for the position.
- Resume or CV (please limit to 4 pages) – please outline relevant leadership experience, educational attainment, work with management teams, regulatory compliance, performance improvement, strategic planning, and program or business development.
- Support Materials (please limit to 5 pages) – please share any specific materials (presentations, writings, events, etc) that you would like to share with the search committee as it relates to your work history and this position.
- References – please share names and contact information for 3-5 references that are able to discuss the applicants work history, leadership skills, and work conduct/ethic.
Note: All applicants will be subject to a background check.
- Senior Leadership Experience
- Building and Managing Teams
- Program Development
- Business Development
- Organizational Strategic Planning and Visioning
- Fiscal Management
- Corporate Compliance and Performance Improvement
Candidate Compensation and Timelines – UCPLL will provide a competitive salary and benefits package based on the candidate’s experience and skills. UCPLL anticipates a start date on or before January 1, 2018, but will be flexible based upon candidate needs.